Art and Science
- Pigment analyses of paintings
- Pigment lexicon
- Scientific methods for investigation of paintings
- Stories behind the paintings
- History of use of individual pigments
- Pigment timelines
- Pigment properties and their identification in paintings
- General resources on paintings, painters, pigments, and scientific methods for investigation of paintings
The pages on pigments can be accessed in four different ways as well. You can choose pigments according to their colour, according to their type, according to their first date of use, and also according to the elements contained in their chemical structure.
Illustrated timelines for pigments of each colour describe the historical development of the availability of all the pigments featured on ColourLex.
Printed and online resources about the main subjects of this website: painting, painters, pigments, and scientific methods for investigation of paintings and pigments. Only general resources are shown in this section. Resources on specific painters, pigments or scientific methods are included under the headings of these individual entries.
Numbers at ColourLex